
My mom (Katrina) emailed me the name of her favorite book, "The Lovely Bones" (Alice Sebold). She's not a big reader but I passed this one on to her a few years ago because I knew that she would love it. It is almost impossible not to get drawn into this heartbreaking story of a murdered 14 year old girl (Susie). There is no build up to her killing, it happens almost immediately and the rest of the book has Susie watching from beyond the grave as her family grieves for her in different and destructive ways. Her killer has not been caught and when she is watching him it is all at once fascinating, frustrating and chilling.
Mom says: You know am NOT a book worm but, I can at least tell you my "FAV BOOK" of all times.. which is.. LOVELY BONES and which by the way... you gave the book to me.
Alice Sebold wrote a second book (Lucky) but I haven't been able to finish it. Don't get me wrong, it is very well written but REALLY difficult to finish. She tells the (true) story of her incredibly brutal rape and recovery. Has anyone else read it?
Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings director) is making The Lovely Bones into a movie (releasing 2009). I've attached the IMDB link so you can see the great cast (Stanley Tucci as the bad guy... I heart Stanley Tucci, Mark Wahlberg (The Departed) and Rachel Weisz (The Constant Gardener) play the parents of Susie Salmon (Saoirse Ronan of Atonement). But even with great actors, it's not too hard to screw up a great book when you throw it on the big screen. Fingers crossed, they DID do justice to White Oleander...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0380510/
From Publishers Weekly
Copyright 2002 Cahners Business Information, Inc.
No comments:
Post a Comment