Cute Devra and her sassy new hairdo just mailed me a review (in bold):My Family and Other Animals (Gerald Durell)
I read it when I was about 11 years old and then read it again and again and again.
It is about a young English boy and his eccentric family who move to the island of Corfu. The book tells all about his adventures and experiences, and it started my LOVE affair with Greece. Because of that book, and the images I had in my mind from reading it, I dreamed of going there from the time I was 11. Then I went and I went again and again and again.
I still love to crawl inside the life of the little boy in the book and pretend I'm him.
It is definitely worth noting that this book was made into a PBS Masterpiece Theater presentation (that's smart pee-pole television). I've included a link to the opening of the film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KPwCD8IObY&feature=related
Thanks so much to Devra for her review. I really look forward to reading this and posting my thoughts (being half Greek and all...get it... "Skim Feta") and I'd love to hear from anyone else that has read it as well. OPA!
Product Description
When the unconventional Durrell family can no longer endure the damp, gray English climate, they do what any sensible family would do: sell their house and relocate to the sunny Greek isle of Corfu. My Family and Other Animals was intended to embrace the natural history of the island but ended up as a delightful account of Durrell’s family’s experiences, from the many eccentric hangers-on to the ceaseless procession of puppies, toads, scorpions, geckoes, ladybugs, glowworms, octopuses, bats, and butterflies into their home.
No comments:
Post a Comment